Valentine's Day, also known as Feast of Saint Valentine or Saint Valentine's Day is an annual holiday originating as a Western Christian liturgical feast celebrating Saint Valentinus, on the 14th of February. The legend says that there was once a priest named Valentine. He lived in Rome during the time when Emperor Claudius II decided to abolish marriage for young men, as he thought they would make better soldiers if single. But Valentine decided to still marry them in secret which lead to his death upon discovery by the emperor. By Middle Ages, Valentine was known as the patron saint of lovers and was one of the most popular saints in England and France.
So, here's some tips to help you plan for the perfect celebration day:
Whatever you want to do, plan it early – whether you are thinking about going out for Valentine's Day or just cooking an amazing dinner for your other half, you should start planning this early unless you want to end up in a place you did not really want to go just for the sake of doing something. If you need a baby sitter, search in advance – there won't be many available last minute! Same goes for meals if you are planning on cooking one – think about it in advance – so that your beloved can see that you have actually made an effort and it's not just another meal in front of the TV.
- If you have got the time, money and freedom, why not book a romantic weekend away? Lastminute.com & Groupon have some great bed-and-breakfast Valentine's deals.
- Stuck for ideas? Buyagift.co.uk gives you around 600 gift ideas to choose from, and these are Valentine's Day targeted!
- Thinking about dining out? Have a look at Trip Advisor / Hardens for good restaurants in your area or any special offers they might have for this occasion.
- Tech geek? Check #ValentinesDay on Twitter if you would like to find out about a bigger variety of offers!
- Sometimes the nicest thing you can do is just spend some quality time together at home, just enjoying each other's company. If you are thinking of doing this, here's a great list of romantic movies which you could watch!
- Really want to go out but not clubbing? Why not use YPlanApp / Meetup to see what events/meeting are happening in your area.
Single? It's your day too and there's loads of things happening out there including bars that host parties for single people. There's a lot you can do on the day without having to spend a great amount of money – like most people do! This is just an ordinary day when you can treat yourself to anything you want to without making any compromises. Alternatively, you could even host an Anti-Valentine's Day party (No flowers, no cards, no candy... just good food, good friends, and good drinks!)!
All in all, there's something for everyone on Valentine's Day!